Gradac is the southern most locality of Makarska Riviera. The old settlement was inhabited in prehistoric times, and numerous stone mounds from the Bronze and Iron Age testifiy to it. During the Roman times, the Gradac area was the seat of the Roman Civitas Biston, which was the coastal center of the colony of Narona. Roman coins and the remains of a cornice fragment of a monumental building from the 2nd – 3rd century were found at the Gradina locality. The medieval town of Lapčan (Labinac), which was mentioned by the Byzantine emperor Constantine, was situated on the territory of what today is Gradac. Gradac was first mentioned under its present name in 1649, and it was named after a fortification situated on the elevation just above the present-day Church of St Michael. One of the best preserved buildings is the chapel of St Pasquale on Mount Plana. The local cemetary is located next to the old parish Church of St Anthony, and the new Church of St Michael was built in 1852. The Gradac area, with its numerous hotels and services, supports the growing tourist industry in general, and it is also the center of entertainment and exciting night life. For those who prefer active holidays, there are marked hiking trails suitable for longer walks, the nearby cliffs ideal for rockclimbing, and around 20 kilometers of marked cycling routes that will take you to many attractive vantage points.
Gradac is the southern most locality of Makarska Riviera.