It was built in the 13th century as a fortress. In the 16th century it was managed by the emperor Maximilian II (1527 -1576) who gave the estate to a governor and a bishop of Zagreb Joseph II Drašković in 1569 for the services rendered and later it became a family heritage. Nikola Zrinski was the owner of the property in the middle of the 17th century for several years (1645 – 1651). In the 19th century, it was renovated in neo-gothic style surrounded with an artificial lake, a garden and a forest – park. The Castle Museum with its collection was established in 1953. The Republic of Croatia owns the castle today and it is opened to visitors all the time.
Trakošćan is one of the most attractive and most visited castles located in the Northern Croatia (Varaždin Region).