Its 66-metre (217 ft) track makes it one of the shortest public-transport funiculars in the world. The funicular was built in 1890, but due to frequent damages, it has been in operation since the 23 April 1893. Initially it had steam engines, which were substituted with electrical engines in 1934. Its present appearance dates from 1974. Having in mind that it kept its original shape, constructional and most of the technical properties, it was given legal protection as a monument of culture.